9: California Probz
Answer to email question: “What are practical ways for Type-B people to ‘cultivate’ that habit of self-discipline?”
- Discipline trumps motivation (and especially if you’re NOT type A)
- Hebrews 12:3-13
- Thus it comes down to creating the structures for success, and here are some helpful ways to do that:
- Start by journaling – figure out the things you know you need to do but aren’t yet doing
- And then, as Jocko poignantly stated – DO THE WORK!
- Finally, publicly communicate it in some way (accountability partners, talk to a mentor about it, talk with friends you see a lot about what you’re trying to do, etc. etc.) – helps us follow through because we all long to be consistent with what we say
- Then craft a game plan for overcoming those obstacles
- Think through/brainstorm what the obstacles are that are hindering success
- At the end of the day, you are what you tell yourself you are. Meaning, we largely operate on the narrative that we are telling ourselves (if you say you aren’t a motivated person, you won’t be motivated). You won’t wake up one day and suddenly be motivated or disciplined, but, as you work on convincing your own mind of a new truth, you will slowly but surely creative a mindset of motivation, discipline, and a greater belief in your own capabilities!
- Can use golf as an example (the yips or any other mental block)
- Find your why.
- The glory of God is what we are pursuing: to see it, to participate in it, and to compete for more of it.
- The Wealth Principle by Randy Alcorn review
- Is voting for Trump Idolatry?
- Speak Truth to Trump, Christianity Today.
- Update on selfishness and what habits I have been working on forming
- “Priming” (pre-engagement mental reminder) and re-routing (conversations)
- The return to California and what problems/challenges that present.
- Time is huge
- PRIORITIZATION – Harry Walls message from Thursday night
- “Glass, Rubber, and Metal” example from Yahoo CEO
- Products of poor priorities:
- No spiritual connection
- “Busyness is the enemy of the soul” // “Busyness is the consequence of not saying enough ‘No’s.’”
- FOMO is much more rampant